[Gasification] [biochar] Gasification, TLUDs and Biochar

Stephen Joseph joey.stephen at gmail.com
Wed May 15 02:54:21 CDT 2013

Hi Tom

I think you need to be very careful about stating temperatures for maximum adsorption.  For example Uchima et al found adsorption of heavy metals was highest at temperatures of 350C for a high mineral ash biochar.  Ammonia uptake is also highest at this temperature.  Other gases solids and liquids have maximum adsorbtivity at different temperatures and are also a function of feedstock.  I am working on adsorption of heavy metals on wheat straw biochar in China.  We see at least three mechanisms, one related to mineral matter, one related to function group composition and concentration and one related to pH and surface area.

There is a general misunderstanding about temperature and properties.

Regards
Stephen Joseph