[Gasification] Fluidised Bed Reactor

GFWHELL at aol.com GFWHELL at aol.com
Thu Nov 28 09:51:31 CST 2013

Kevin .

What sort of reaction could be expected if we applied the high temperature
exhaust from an IC engine into a "reactor" containing biomass and at the
same  time reheated the "reactor" using some of the volatile vapors so
produced?  perhaps we could  also ionize the vapors produced within the reactor to
above 5000  deg. which should yield a relatively low tar stream of gas
.some of which could fuel the IC engine.
This does not compromise the laws of Thermodynamics.

GF

In a message dated 11/28/2013 9:55:19 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
kchisholm at ca.inter.net writes:

Dear  Dan

Quoting Carefreeland at aol.com:

> Doug and  all,
>     Would some sort of a high temp molecular  cracker be  a good companion
> to create a quality gas from a  fluidised bed? Possibly some  steam and /
or
> preheated air  .involved? Seems if you wrapped the exhaust back  through
the
>  hottest part of the flame in a reactor tube this can be   accomplished.
>     Sorry but I have been kinda outta the  loop for a  while.

# Start by appreciating the two Fundamental  Rules of Thermodynamics
and Thermo Chemistry:
Fundamental Rule  #1: You can't get something for nothing
Fundamental Rule #2: As a matter of  fact, you can't even break even.

For example, the reaction
C + O2  --> CO2             (`1)
is strongly  exothermic, and gives off about 14,000 BTU per pound of
carbon that  is oxidized.

If there was insufficient O2, and the C was only burned to  CO, as follows:
C + 1/2O2 --> CO            (2)
then only abut 4,000 BTU would be released  per pound of  carbon.

If we wanted to reverse reaction #1, we would have to put back  14,000
BTU/Lb C
OR, in the case of a gasifier, where the reaction
CO2 +  C --> 2  CO         (3)
is desired, we  would have to "put back"  energy as follows:
14,000 + 0 --> 2x4,000  + "X"
14,000 --> 8,000 + "X"
and it is obvious that "X" is 6,000 BTU,  in order to respect
Fundamental Rule #1

"Molecular Crackers"  and "Catalysts" do indeed work, but only when the
fundamental need  to add or remove energy from a reaction is respected.
As long as the  "fundamental need for an energy balance" is respected,
then many  things are possible.

Best  wishes,

Kevin

>     Dan  Dimiduk

to Send a Message to the list, use the email  address
Gasification at bioenergylists.org

to UNSUBSCRIBE or Change  your List Settings use the web  page
http://lists.bioenergylists.org/mailman/listinfo/gasification_lists.bioenerg
ylists.org

for  more Gasifiers,  News and Information see our web  site: