[Gasification] Demonstration and Training Unit

sam at bristolwireless.net sam at bristolwireless.net
Sat Apr 5 19:52:12 CDT 2014

>> INSTEAD, Hydraulic FRACKING has emerged to increase supplies of
>> oil. and gas.

Realists are not so sure, noting that not only is fracked oil very
expensive, requiring circa $80 a barrel to cover the costs of
extraction, but that production from fracked oil wells drops off
quickly so that new wells have to be drilled constantly to maintain
production. Until recently information about just how fast our fracked
oil wells were depleting was rather hard to come by, so that the hype
about the US becoming energy independent and a major oil exporter
became conventional wisdom for most.

Last week the US’s Energy Information Administration issued the first
in a new series entitled Drilling Productivity Report for key tight
oil and shale gas regions. This report analyzes the six onshore oil
and gas regions in the U.S. where 90 percent of the growth in oil
production and nearly all of the growth in natural gas production has
taken place in the last few years. The report tallies the number of
drilling rigs at work in these six regions; the amount of new oil and
gas they are bringing into production each month; and most
importantly, the rate at which production from those wells already in
production is falling

More: http://www.postcarbon.org/article/1928847-the-peak-oil-crisis-the-shale

Full report: http://www.postcarbon.org/reports/DBD-report-FINAL.pdf

2p

Sam

Previous extraction relied on drilling a vertical hole