[Gasification] Steel making Charcoal

Craig Kernan craig at postcollapse.org
Thu Aug 21 07:54:29 CDT 2014

Thinking about  the discussion here made me realize that I only have a
relatively fuzzy undersatanding of steel making, and some people on this
list seem to understand the process much better.  I decied to try and
pick some knowledgable brains.

1.  Can someone here recomend a good reference on small scale steel
making with charcoal.    I Know it is/has been done in small villages in
several parts of the world with relatively low technology, often with
excelent results. /Example: the two kinds of steel folded into a katana
(samuri sword) by Japanese sword makers./

2.  If I wanted to render the old Mazda pickup and Ford van in my back
yard into different types of steel, what parts shoudl I start with and
what should I do?
a. to get a very hard steel,
b. to get a very elastic springy steel
c. to get an easily worked steel for a balcksmiths forge?

Craig