RE: [Gasification] Karlsruhe Institute of Technology bioliq® pilot project

linvent at aol.com linvent at aol.com
Fri Dec 5 10:11:29 CST 2014

 Tom,
	Thanks for the feedback. I understand the costs of pilot vs. developed plants,but the ratio here seems high.
	There is a large coal to power gasifier plant being built in Mississippi by DOE and the Southern Companies to demonstrate clean coal operations and it has run into massive cost and time overruns and soured the community on clean coal costs. This may be the same type of influence over future plants where perceived costs are a major deterrent to considering gasification. Some of Kholsa's investments are also out there with the same aura.
	There are areas which are still immune or at least for some time from the lowered oil and gas prices, but these will eventually matriculate through the energy matrix and affect projects that are based on replacing them. There are projects that can be based on input income, i.e., disposal fees that will survive however.
	I look at the major oil companies that have the capability of constructing coal to liquid fuels plants at any time and haven't. I am of the opinion that in most cases, with exceptions for the Shell Indonesian GTL operations, they are well aware of the real value of their products, the political structure and vagaries of the pricing and are not willing to take risks of this magnitude.
	During the Arab Oil Embargo days of the 70's, the US spent $68 billion on synfuels without producing a single commercial plant except for the Plains Gasification facility in North Dakota which still operates today. Congress got tired of pumping money into it (US Synfuels Corporation) and shut off the funding.
	In New Mexico, there were a series of coal to methane gasification facilities planned with most of the major oil companies having their planned operations and they never came to pass. I can only imagine the amount of investment that would have been lost if they had.

Sincerely,
Leland T. "Tom" Taylor
Thermogenics Inc.