[Gasification] using coal gas in i.c. engine

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 20:02:53 CDT 2014

Dear Tom and Lloyd,
thanks a lot for the inputs.  We make charcoal from sugarcane leaves that
are left behind after harvest of sugarcane. One hectare produces about 10
ton leaves, which in turn yield about 3 ton char. Our present kilns work in
batches, and are slow. I am in the process of developing a kiln for
continuous charring. We are also looking for uses of charcoal apart from
cooking. Making activated charcoal is one of them, but even a wider use
would be to use it as vehicular fuel. My daughter's name is Priyadarshini
(Priya for short).
Yours
 A.D.Karve

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 1:20 AM, Tom Reed <tombreed2010 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> (Gasoline plus air is certainly an unstable mixture.)
>
> Syngas is also unstable. The reaction
>
>   CO + 2H2O ===> CH2 + H2O
>
> Is the basis of the Fischer-Tropsch process of making gasoline.  An iron
> or cobalt catalyst is necessary.
>
> Regards to your family and Priyadarshina(?)
>
> Tom Reed
>

> Thomas B Reed
> 280 Hardwick Rd
> Barre, MA 01005
> 508 353 7841
>
> On Mar 7, 2014, at 10:03 AM, Lloyd Helferty <lhelferty at sympatico.ca>
> wrote:
>
> ... Gasoline is "an unstable mixture" too ~ just light a match anywhere
> near it and you will soon find out. ;-)
>  But in this case [where we wish to use it for energy production],
> "unstable" is a *good* thing.
>
> P.S. I assume that your last question about using "coal gas in an internal
> combustion engine" was rhetorical...
>
> Regards,
>
>   Lloyd Helferty, Engineering Technologist
>   Principal, Biochar Consulting (Canada)
>   www.biochar-consulting.ca
>   48 Suncrest Blvd, Thornhill, ON, Canada
>   905-707-8754
>   CELL: 647-886-8754
>      Skype: lloyd.helferty
>   Steering Committee coordinator
>   Canadian Biochar Initiative (CBI)
>   CURRENTS, A working group of Science for Peace
>   http://www.scienceforpeace.ca/currents/
>   President, Co-founder & CBI Liaison, Biochar-Ontario
>   National Office, Canadian Carbon Farming Initiative (CCFI)
>   Organizing team member, 2013 N/A Biochar Symposium:
>     www.carbon-negative.us/symposium
>   Member of the Don Watershed Regeneration Council (DWRC)
>   Manager, Biochar Offsets Group:
>            http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=2446475
>    Advisory Committee Member, IBI
>   http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1404717
>   http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=42237506675
>   http://groups.google.com/group/biochar-ontario
>   http://www.meetup.com/biocharontario/
>   http://www.biocharontario.ca
>    www.biochar.ca
>
> "Producing twice as much food with diminishing resources, without further loss of natural habitats and biodiversity and in a changing climate may be the greatest challenge facing humanity."
>    - Lloyd Helferty
>
> On 2012-10-24 6:13 AM, Anand Karve wrote:
>
>  Tar, a problem when using wood gas in an internal combustion engine, is
>> automatically eliminated in the process of making charcoal.Charring does
>> not require any input of external energy. Making coal gas from charcoal is
>> also relatively simple. I was told that CO + H2 was an unstable mixture,
>> but can one use freshly made coal gas in an internal combustion engine?
>> Yours
>>
> A.D.Karve
>

> --
> ***
> Dr. A.D. Karve
> Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)

***