[Gasification] Running a vehicle on wood gas

Doug Doug.Williams at orcon.net.nz
Thu Mar 20 15:05:52 CDT 2014

Hi Tony and Colleagues,

Building a mobile gasifier is both fun and frustrating in a DIY scenario, especially with so many informed comments on how best to might be done (mine included). You also have choices of either wood or charcoal gasifiers the preferred choice for mobile use in Australia and New Zealand from the early days of engine powered machinery until the end of WW2.

I to read about the round Australia trip on producer gas and all the interesting ways he coped with the problems incurred. Not everyone has the capability to do this, and if you rely on just producer gas to do, we might end up reading of your rescue from the Simpson Desert(:-)

The fuel that he relied on was a very dense wood called Gydgi which I know is spelt incorrectly. If you want to use raw wood, then it has to be chipped due to it's incredible hardness. You can cut it green, but bounce an axe off it when dry. It make absolutely the best quality charcoal money can buy or make yourself, that is if you can find a place not protected from native tree removal. Don't become an environmental terrorist, or arsonist to make your fuel.
Bush fires are the biggest gassing fires you will ever see!

Charcoal gasifiers can be both smaller, easier to make, and require less or more simple gas filtration for the particulates, so I suggest that you can narrow your needs down to a level that can have successful outcomes.

Doug Williams,
Fluidyne.
Auckland NZ.
www.fluidynenz.250x.com