[Gasification] Running a vehicle on wood gas

Peter Davies idgasifier at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 06:00:40 CDT 2014

Thanks Paul, yes it is. The 1988 visit to Canberra was when my Father in
law was involved. What I find interesting is that it worked well enough
in its own fashion and achieving the aims of the people involved, so
what could be done with say a modern 60hp unit... I understood the tar
from the Gidgee (and other acacias) that people here in Oz talk about to
be in the first instance a natural feature of the tree, a resin/sap
exuded in noticeable quantities out of the cut ends when heated,  this
is particularly noticeable in the drying phase inside a gasifier like
the Imbert and can cause bridging through "sticking" up the pieces so to
speak, though I would also defer to Doug's explanation and superior
knowledge regarding the piece sizes used for the system in the article.
We have found acacias to be an excellent gasifier fuel ourselves and
gave the highest fixed carbon results in independent tests of our system
conducted by Greening Australia, being 93%.

Wood pellets have been slow to develop here in Australia mainly due to
industry factors and trying to get ultra high returns, and so where
available are not cheap as for the US, more like $750-$1000/tonne, this
could change shortly. Also you can buy cheap 50-100kg/hr flat die pellet
mills from China which might be adequate to make your own fuel, quite
apart from using straight wood chip or docks for shorter runs.

Peter

--
Peter Davies
Director