[Gasification] 3 injured in Fortum bio-oil plant explosion

Siemons at CleanFuels.nl Siemons at CleanFuels.nl
Fri Mar 28 17:17:26 CDT 2014

Dear List,

That is very bad news about Fortum indeed.

In his reaction, Tom Reed wrote very negatively about pyrolysis oil. In my
view that is not correct.

Let us hope that the cause of the accident will be analyzed successfully.
For Fortum, and others, pyrolysis oil is a main product. But for others it
is an an unavoidable by-product. In any case for most industrial charcoal
manufacturers. In our demonstration plant, employing our new charcoal
manufacturing technology, we make pyrolysis oil in addition to charcoal.
Ball park indications, recalculated to the dry basis of all materials
involved (dry basis outputs / dry basis inputs, and changing with process
temperature management): 38 m% dry charcoal, 15 m% liquid, 47 m% gas. All of
the gas can be combusted for heat and/or power, but it would be a waste to
do the same with the liquid.

That is, immediate conversion of the liquid would be a waste. In our case we
wanted to be able to at least use part of the pyrolysis liquid to sustain
our carbonisation process, but not immediately upon production. Rather
postponed, and only when needed (the rest of the liquid may find other uses
anyway). So, we like pyrolysis oil as an energy buffer.

It turned out that affordable combustion equipment at our scale (50-100 kW)
is not available in the market. The fouling and coking behaviour of this
liquid is a killer.

Last week we were able to crack it, with a new fuel injection technology.
The official announcement is attached. The technology makes wider use of
pyrolysis oils a lot easier.

Best regards,

Roland Siemons

Clean Fuels B.V.