[Gasification] [Stoves] Natural draft TLUD turn-down

Lloyd Helferty lhelferty at sympatico.ca
Tue May 20 18:15:14 CDT 2014

Jason,

   I've taken a look at your website and the info about the
"IntensiFire", however one of the main points of the project will be to
produce biochar (for use with the compost that they are already
making).  If the IntensiFire is only meant to increase efficiency and to
reduce emissions for wood burning stoves, this may not be quite what we
are looking for, although it might be possible to "adapt" the
IntensiFire to the application in some way [?] (in order to maximize the
efficiency and minimize the emissions) ~ although the total cost might
be quite prohibitive, given that the IntensiFire (Mk II) is already
starting at $499 NZD (not including shipping all the way from NZ to Canada).
   I will, however, keep your downdraft technology in mind as we move
forward with our project.

Regards,

   Lloyd Helferty, Engineering Technologist
   Principal, Biochar Consulting (Canada)
   www.biochar-consulting.ca
   48 Suncrest Blvd, Thornhill, ON, Canada
   905-707-8754
   CELL: 647-886-8754
      Skype: lloyd.helferty
   Steering Committee coordinator
   Canadian Biochar Initiative (CBI)
   CURRENTS, A working group of Science for Peace
   http://www.scienceforpeace.ca/currents/
   President, Co-founder & CBI Liaison, Biochar-Ontario
   National Office, Canadian Carbon Farming Initiative (CCFI)
   Organizing team member, 2013 N/A Biochar Symposium:
     www.carbon-negative.us/symposium
   Member of the Don Watershed Regeneration Council (DWRC)
   Manager, Biochar Offsets Group:
            http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=2446475
    Advisory Committee Member, IBI
   http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1404717
   http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=42237506675
   http://groups.google.com/group/biochar-ontario
   http://www.meetup.com/biocharontario/
   http://www.biocharontario.ca
    www.biochar.ca

"Producing twice as much food with diminishing resources, without further loss of natural habitats and biodiversity and in a changing climate may be the greatest challenge facing humanity."
    - Lloyd Helferty

On 2014-05-20 5:28 PM, Jason wrote:
> Dear Lloyd,
>
> what you require sounds like a possible application for the IntensiFire.
>
> I can't promise you open source or off the shelf, or even the capacity
> yet to build what you are after. Probably won't get much biochar either.
>
> What I can offer is super clean combustion (zero CO and possibly zero
> PM10) particularly with auger fed fuel to keep combustion in the sweet
> spot. I have also built a prototype woodstove that will burn green
> wood with no visible smoke.
>

> Kind Regards
>
> Jason
> http://www.intensifire.co.nz/
>

> On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 7:14 AM, Lloyd Helferty wrote:
>
>     Crispin (and all),  [CC; gasification list]
>
>       This is a very interesting conversation regarding ND TLUD power
>     (heat) variability and its implications, and (as you know) I do
>     have a keen interest in this topic since being introduced to the
>     TLUD 'stove' concept back several years ago (by Dr. Anderson, when
>     he came to Ontario to demonstrate his small "Champion" stove and
>     similar devices at the Laepple farm in June 2009), especially
>     since the TLUD is one of the few simple technologies that can
>     produce biochar cleanly at a small (or possibly at a medium) scale
>     for local use ~ while producing (hopefully) useful amounts of
>     energy (heat).
>
>       What I am working on right now here in Toronto might interest
>     you or others on this list.
>      I have been approached by a business in Toronto that would like
>     to be able to implement a small-scale char-making technology at
>     their manufacturing site in the Toronto area (GTA) that would
>     utilize the (dry) 'residuals' from their food production process
>     in order to make heat energy that could lower their (fossil)
>     energy use [natural gas costs] while also turning their (dry)
>     'food waste' into a biochar (and/or high-char ash) that could be
>     re-integrated back into a (wet) food composting system
>     (vermicompost) that is already being implemented onsite at their
>     operations here in the city.
>
>      The primary use of the heat would be to heat up water, but it
>     would also be welcome if it could be used in the preparation of
>     the 'raw' food (drying, roasting certain products to a certain
>     temperature -- i.e. an 'oven') that goes into their recipes, which
>     includes 'fair-trade' sourced (temperate and tropical) foodstuffs
>     that have been either grown or imported into Canada in bulk, and
>     which are prepared on-site (including de-hulling etc. of several
>     of the key ingredients).
>       Essentially, this company would like to know if it might be
>     possible to come up with either a "customized" or an
>     "off-the-shelf" system that has a fairly small footprint (about
>     the size of a shipping pallet
>     <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pallet#Dimensions>, or ~16 sq. ft =
>     40" × 48", as commonly used in the food industry) that would be
>     able to meet the following requirements:

> [...]
<snip>