[Gasification] Modern Log Skidder

Dave Boyt dboyt at netins.net
Mon Oct 27 06:41:31 CDT 2014

I'd like to chime in here.  I practice low impact forestry in southwest
Missouri.  You wouldn't want to churn the understory litter into the soil--
too much damage to tree roots, erosion, and disruption of the forest floor.
It would, however be beneficial to leave biomass on the surface of the
ground and let it decay & mix into the soil as it has for eons before we
came onto the scene.

Tree-length logging as shown in the video can be pretty hard on uneven age
stands.  With every turn in the skid trail, those logs will scrape bark of
the trees on the inside of the turn.  Even 16' logs are difficult to
maneuver without causing damage.  Dragging one end of the log is less
damaging than dragging the entire log as is usually done in logging
operations, but true forwarders load the logs onto an all-wheel-drive wagon
and leave no skid marks on the trail.  Balloon tires distribute the weight
to minimize soil compaction.  The best equipment comes from Germany,
Finland, & Slovenia, but not much of it makes it to the U.S.  I'd love to
get one someday, but for now, I'm using an old 8N Ford Tractor & log arch.
A Youtube search for "mini forwarder" will turn up some good videos.  Here's
one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tuwx6eTGkrE.  And here's a video of the
type of log arch I use:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64tgvMpG7sA

My interest in gasification is to set up a 15 kW unit to run a genset to
power my portable sawmill with its own waste.  At this point, however, I'm
just at the barrel/charcoal stage of experimentation.  The GEK looks ideal,
but is beyond my budget.

Thanks for the great postings and maintaining the forum.  I'm sure that
there are many who, like me, benefit from the information, but seldom have
anything substantial to contribute.

Regards,
Dave Boyt
Pottershop Hollow Tree Farm & Sawmill