[Gasification] Low and high temp gasifiers

Bruce Southerland bsoutherland at manchesterchristian.com
Mon Sep 15 15:40:35 CDT 2014

I agree, my experience is more power with a hotter reaction, with or without introducing water/steam. Someone recently counseled us to move away from the term "crack" for what goes on with water in a gasifier because, he argued, water/steam doesn't 'crack' until it reaches 2200 C. He suggested that reactive C rips the O away from the H. I'm trying to wrap my tiny mind around this. If this is correct, then this may be a more accurate way of expressing the process:
As steam that is superheated in the reaction zone passes through the hot glowing char in the surrounding reduction zone, O will be pulled off by the C to form CO and release H.
Does that sound right?
We don't need the right explanation to experience the increase in gas power from dripping water or spraying steam into the reaction zone, but I would like to understand what is going on if I can.