[Gasification] washing charcoal

Thomas Reed tombreed2010 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 11:24:36 CDT 2014

Dear Drs Karve and Priyadarshina

Good question!  Good Questions are as important as good answers.Some of the mineral content is probably part of the lattice, and non removable.  Other is left over from the CHARING process and will wash away.

Why not perform an experiment to see how much is "lattice mineral" and how much dissolves out (on boiling?)

<><><>

To really nail this question, it is important to define your starting charcoal.  There are two very different types.  "Cowboy charcoal" is made by heating wood to ~ 300 C, where self heating takes over and reaches 400-450C, depending on heat losses.

Toplit Updraft (TLUD) charcoal is made by burning out the cellulose between 500 and 600 C.  Much cleaner charcoal.

Looking forward to your results,

Tom Reed

Thomas B Reed
280 Hardwick Rd