[Gasification] formation of coal in carboniferous era

Joshua Bogart joshua.bogart at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 12:44:38 CDT 2014

>From my understanding coal is fromed from "lower plants" mosses, ferns,
horsetail like plants etc. How much lignin do such plants create?  I know
the larger tree ferns use a lot of tree ferns in their trunks. Seems to me
the peat bog acid condition swamps is more likely. As higher plants had not
evolved yet, All of these plants were growing in wet areas, like swamps,
leading to plant material falling into areas with anaerobic conditions. In
my experience complex hydrocarbons (lignin and cellulose) do not break down
very well in anaerobic conditions thus the build up of huge layers of
organic material. Much as still happens int eh peat bog behind my house.

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 1:28 PM, Jeff Davis <jeffdavis0124 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/22/2014 04:51 AM, Anand Karve wrote:
>
>> I have my own
>> hypothesis about this. I claim that the organisms that decompose
>> lignin had not evolved at that time and therefore the lignocellulosic
>> debris just piled up everywhere, just as discarded plastic does today.
>> I need a time machine to verify this.
>> Yours
>> A.D.Karve
>>

> About four months ago someone said about the same thing. He read about the
> subject on the web or it was on a TV documentary.
>

> Jeff

> bioenergylists.org

Skype: Joshua.bogart
Emial: Joshua.bogart at gmail.com