[Gasification] formation of coal in carboniferous era

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 03:54:06 CDT 2014

Dear List,
thanks for all the comments. The thought expressed in my original
message occured to me after I heard a lecture last month by one
Professor Sakhalkar from a local college in our area (Maharashtra
State, India).  He found a fungus growing on plastic. He isolated the
fungus, identified it and cultured it. He showed , that under
laboratory conditions, it grew on a medium containing polyethylene as
the exclusive source of carbon. The growth was very slow, and he said
that this discovery was only of academic interest, because it would
take the organism about 500 years to completely consume the plastic
provided to it. But this showed, that the process of evolution had
already produced an organism that feeds on plastic. The manufacturers
of cables would have to add an antifungal agent to the insulation
coating the cables.
Yours
A.D.Karve

--