[Gasification] Intermittent Combustion

Bob Stuart bobstuart at sasktel.net
Thu Jan 1 22:59:21 CST 2015

Happy New Year, everyone.
I have a fascinating new puzzle that began with contemplation of the
Humpfrey pump, and general frustration over the lack of free-piston
heat pumps on any fuel.  Given the abilities of tuned pipes, it might
be possible to dispense with even liquid as a piston.
The basic notion is just this: Rather than extract combustible gasses
for use in an IC engine, put solid fuel into the combustion chamber,
but time the injection of high-pressure air to burn it, creating
power pulses.  There are hundreds of ways to achieve this, and a re-
fueling mechanism to invent, but I see a lot of potential for overall
simplification.  Maybe a single log can be slowly fed in as the
cylinder head surface.  Even a common airtight stove might get
modified to make useful pulses.
Thoughts?

Bob Stuart