[Gasification] conversion of CO2 into methane (Off Topic)

Doug Williams doug.williams.nz at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 23:29:31 CDT 2016

Hi Dr. Karve and interested Gasification Colleagues,

Since we last wrote about your question, I have been trying to find the
project files for a couple of related projects that I was involved with
quite a few years ago to clean-up of Dairy yard waste effluent and
conversion of Steel Mill flu gas into liquid fuels. It set me thinking
to formulate a theory, and see if it could be tested.  I posed a few
questions to a friend of mine with a Degree in Cell Biology (experience
of testing North Sea sediments around oil well for pollution). This
morning via SKYPE, we talked for an hour, so I pass on the conclusions
to my theory.

Q1. Could random mutations occur to methanogens that might not fit
their calculated conversion ratios?

A. It is a distinct possibility that such a mutation might occur.

Q2. If such a mutation should occur in Institutional bio-digestor's used
for testing, can they then continue to inoculate all future testing if
unobserved?

A. It would be unlikely to be able to sterilize such equipment between
tests, and the mutation would contaminate or inoculate the ongoing
batch tests.

Q3. If the test were conducted remotely off-site in another
bio-digestor, might it be possible to see the gas ratios restore to the
lower previously calculated output?

A. This is a distinct possibility if based over time tested
calculations previously used. Institutional testing might have created
the perfect mutation to evolve which could affect the gas ratios. This
is practice within industry to selectively improve or develop required
out-comes. All care should be taken not to contaminate the remote
digester site via dirty foot wear or test sampling equipment. If
possible, gas samples from multiple digester’s would provide a better
comparative study.

So Dr.Karve, I hope this might point you in another direction to answer
your question, that is if you have not already resolved the increased
gas ratio's. I doubt if I can contribute further, sad really, as
wider discussion brings forward innovation.

Regards,
Doug Williams,
Fluidyne.