[Gasification] Biochar - Carbon Negative?

Gerald Kutney gkutney at 6esm.com
Wed Apr 20 05:38:57 CDT 2016

While biomass is carbon neutral in principle, its use seldom is as the collection and processing of it is not.  The claim of carbon neutrality in the use of biomass has opened the industry to valid criticism as over-stating its benefits.  Bioenergy and biofuels are better than fossil fuels, but carbon neutrality is a hyperbole, in my opinion.

And while biochar is carbon negative in principle, not all of it is fixed and some appears to be vulnerable to biological activity.  Proving the degree of sequestration is challenging, and few jurisdictions have officially accepted this aspect of biochar.

That said, bioenergy, biofuels and biochar are all (usually) beneficial to fight climate change (compared to fossil fuels), but we should be careful not to overstate the degree that this takes place.

Gerald Kutney, Ph.D.
Managing Director
Sixth Element Sustainable Management
“Innovation can move the world”