[Gasification] Drying using a syngas genset exhaust

Doug Williams doug.williams.nz at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 18:21:29 CDT 2016

Hi Arnt,

Just another couple of points to consider if you try your idea.

<Snip> So why not use the air from the engine cooling system and divert
that cooling airflow into the dryer.  Now you do not have any of the
dew point issues, sparks, etc such as when using exhaust gases for
drying energy.  The engine cooling system would use ambient air from
the room and blow it into dryer with virtually no potential to cause
fires or overheating of any sort.  The engine usually has a fan already
in place so no new parts would be required.  Or you could use both
sources of heat energy to dry the wet feedstock.
<Snip>

1. Most commercial generating sets have a fan blowing outwards away
from the engine.

2. These types of fans are not pressure forming, so any back pressure
from a drying bed would reduce the air flows proportionally to the
resistance.

3. If you use this type of hot air recovery, then fit a plenum box on
the front of the radiator and use a second pressurizing fan to feed the
drier.

4. If you add a heat exchanger to the exhaust in the plenum, you get
the best options for any basic clean heat recovery.

I do have pen and ink drawings buried in the now very dusty office, not
on computer, but will have a look and see if I can post them within a
few days.

Regards,
Doug Williams.
Fluidyne.