[Gasification] Straw Fueled CHP

Pete & Sheri spaco at baldwin-telecom.net
Tue Dec 26 12:17:54 CST 2017

Hello Greg.

  I probably shouldn’t be butting in on the experts, but I did try “straw” (actually grass hay) in my JXQ-10 gasifier once, back in 2012.  After all, that’s what it was mainly designed for.

For any “newbys” not familiar with this small Chinese gasifier made for cooking a meal, just google “JXQ-10”.

Anyway, I dug back into my archives and here’s a snippet of what I had to say about that (flaring only) run:

“I had decided to try using chopped up "straw" as the original JXQ-10 instructions had suggested.  I chopped up enough grass hay to fill two  5 gallon pails with one to two inch long pieces for this purpose. The hay was tightly packed into the pails. That only produced about 4 pounds of hay.

  There is a LOT of labor in doing this chopping.  I won't do it again, but I wanted to see how it would work.

I fired up using the hay and it was GONE in a few minutes!  I did, however, get some pretty high temperatures.  I immediately switched to wood chips.”

After the test, using the chopped hay and, later, wood chips, I recorded the following:

“I think we are seeing about the best we are ever going to get from this machine in the "normal" mode.  The "normal mode", to me, is when the machine is used to produce cooking gas for the 2 burner stove that came with my unit.”

Later on, of course I did many woodchip runs with and without using the gas in an engine.  But I never used staw or hay again.

Pete Stanaitis