[Gasification] Where is Everyone? - wood stove turbo

A6intruder@myo-p.com a6intruder at myo-p.com
Mon Jan 2 21:46:46 CST 2017

Bob,

That's a pretty interesting idea.  A couple of considerations based on my
experience adding a turbocharger to my v-8 1994 Mustang.  The turbine wheel
and compressor are pretty small in diameter (compressor impeller 3" or so in
diameter) on an automotive-type turbo.  I'm using a Holset HX-35W off  late
1990's diesel truck engine.  My 331 CID engine puts out well over 400 Hp at
12 psi boost.  At that data point this turbo is flowing around 1200 Kg/hr,
serious airflow.  You will go through a LOT of solid fuel in a VERY short
period of time.  The turbine/impeller are spinning around 100,000 RPM.  The
point being the impeller is very small place to put one or more magnets and
the RPM will demand very precise balancing.  Even just trying to run at a
couple psi boost you will be turning in excess of 55,000 RPM.

Even finding the very smallest of turbos out there you might get something
that only makes 100 Hp on an ICE but your magnet placement/balance problem
will more difficult, the smaller turbos REALLY spin!

I'm not trying to discourage the project.  You will be amazed at how small
and light those parts are when you open up a turbo.

Good luck with it!  Please keep us posted as the project progresses.

Dan Nicoson