[Gasification] Where is Everyone?

Doug doug.williams.nz at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 12:06:31 CST 2017

Hi Bob,

Coking is caused by the reversion of CO gas back to CO2 and carbon soot,
where-by the hot gas entering the turbo is over a temperature of say
500C. If you were to first combust this gas with air so that only CO2
hot gas drove the turbo, the problem then becomes one of ash particle
impaction onto the impeller blades. Naturally you get heaps of waste
heat, but the practicalities of cleaning the impeller daily or after
each refueling is a real party pooper! The only safe way is to use
ceramic filter candles, expensive and needing compressed air to pulse clean.

Not sure maths is all that's required to make your idea work in the way
you perceive without adding energy. Steam and coke need the high
temperatures and pressures associated with turbo operation, but in
differing design application. I'm sure others will offer you comment to
develop this interesting concept.

Doug Williams.