[Gasification] Gasification Digest, Vol 81, Issue 9

Doug doug.williams.nz at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 13:29:46 CST 2018

Hi Gasification Colleagues,

For those interested in this discussion on rice husks, I posted an
article on the Fluidyne Archive a few years ago about the issues of
gasifying agricultural wastes. The photos will enlarge by clicking on
them. We did enough testing at that point in time (1984-5) to study the
practicality of doing it both small and large scale for boiler
application for an associate company that had trouble using it as blown
combustion fuel. It proved a good way to sand blast the internal surfaces!

If gasified, these types of siliceous wastes are prone to packed bed
channeling, as the air flow will push through in lower density areas
chasing the oxidizing surface carbon. Their use for clean gas
applications remains an issue of filtration, rather than gasification.
The use of cheap water scrubbers create huge environmental risk to
ground water, and it would be fantastic if a break-though in filtration
could be found, that was affordable and scalable to end applications.

Any researchers of this subject, should add to their Bibliography
"Gasification of rice hulls: theory and praxis." by Albrecht Kaupp,
1984. ISBN 3-528-02002-4   (GATE) (GTZ) German publication in English.
Possibly it is digitally recorded and worth a search.

Happy New Year from NZ.

Doug Williams.

Fluidyne.

http://www.fluidynenz.250x.com/