[Greenbuilding] off-grid home

Chris Koehn chris at koehn.com
Tue Dec 7 11:05:47 CST 2010

I've been asked to general contract a home on one of the B.C. southern Gulf islands without grid power. This is an architect designed, 1,600 s.f. home and while I have little influence with the over-all design, the owners have expressed desire to pursue some solar (evacuated tube and possibly PV) and have settled on wood as the primary heat source via a cook stove and separate fireplace.
I am keen to find someone to help design an H/V system that meets B.C. code requirements, provides a modicum of comfort specific to the design of this home, consumes very little electricity and a minimum of propane, and can keep the home from freezing up when unoccupied. Anyone interested please contact me off-list.

Thanks,

Chris
TimberGuides Design & Build