[Greenbuilding] heating values of different species of wood

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 10:40:55 CST 2010

I stumbled upon this
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wood-combustion-heat-d_372.html
and wondered if anyone here can offer an opinion about how good these
numbers are. I compared cherry and white oak on this chart (the two species
I tend to burn), and noticed that the ratio of the two species dry
weight/volume is the same as the ratio of their BTU/volume.
Does that mean a lb of cellulose regardless of species is assumed to have a
(more or less fixed) heating value? I could imagine that but hadn't
encountered this before. It would make certain calculations easier...

paging Norbert Senf...
paging Corwyn

Thanks,

Reuben Deumling