[Greenbuilding] Thin High R-value insulation for exterior

JOHN SALMEN terrain at shaw.ca
Mon Nov 1 10:47:20 CDT 2010

I used rockboard (to avoid foam) but was not happy with it. Its compressive
strength is achieved using urea formaldehyde as a binder/glue. Higher
stiffness - more chemicals - nasty stuff to work with. The density is rated
for the whole board but seems inconsistent - you can poke your finger
through it. For fastening you have to use a pretty big washer (one company
makes one up to 3") so it is doable.

Rockwool board has been used as a base for stucco with metal lathing since
the 40's. With a lime stucco I would have some concerns about the stiffness
of the rockwool without a rigid lathing - I think it would be more prone to
cracking but in this case it is not a cladding so much as a decorative
coating over the insul board (which is the cladding). Might want to look at
an earthen plaster.

JOHN SALMEN ENVIRONMENTAL DESIGN
4465 UPHILL RD,. DUNCAN, B.C.  CANADA, V9L 6M7
PH 250 748 7672 FAX 250 748 7612 CELL 250 246 8541
terrain at shaw.ca