[Greenbuilding] insulation vs. air sealing

Brian Uher brian at amicusgreen.com
Mon Oct 4 07:16:18 CDT 2010

 Hi David-

It seems that the time to ventilate is when you need to evacuate
moisture. You need to evacuate moisture when it builds up or when it's
new equilibrium is above the holding capacity of the materials - when
the settling point supports mold growth.

Winter air is dry, so ventilation is not needed in winter-as it warms,
it gets even drier, relatively speaking.
But keeping interior vapor out of the attic is critical.

Summer air is humid, but if the attic matches the temperature of the
exterior, the humidity matches as well.  Condensation does not occur, so
accumulation of moisture in the wood should not occur.
But keeping the interior cooling (both via exfiltration and conduction)
out of the attic is critical.

So, maybe you really *never* need ventilation but *always* need airflow
and thermal flow control.

The one exception: rain penetration will wet the wood.  But that
situation is catastrophic and a repair since it means your design sucks
or your roof is leaking.

Thoughts?
-Brian