[Greenbuilding] a better boiler

Clarke Olsen colsen at fairpoint.net
Tue Apr 12 21:51:24 CDT 2011

Most heating systems are oversized: that way, there won't be any
complaints about insufficient heat some cold night.
Better to have a small unit running flat-out a few times a year, then
an oversized unit constantly cycling on/off.
I heat a 130+ year old building in upstate NY, 3,600 sqft, with 3
tenants, using a .65 gph oil furnace. Though it runs
hard in freezing weather, that unit is still over-sized for the
average day.
Clarke Olsen
373 route 203
Spencertown, NY 12165