[Greenbuilding] No Fracking Way?

Corwyn corwyn at midcoast.com
Thu Apr 21 08:57:33 CDT 2011

On 4/18/2011 3:15 PM, Frank Cetera wrote:

> Implementing an urban home retrofit using only electrical powered
> systems, with the potential of becoming an off-grid site in the future
> through reduced energy consumption and on-site generation (with purchase
> of alternative sources in the short-term), in order to relieve our
> dependence on natural gas as a fuel source due to its potential for high
> environmental damage.  (This would not be a super-insulated passivhaus
> sort of design and would rely on natural materials as much as possible
> for air sealing, insulation, and built additions/restorations)

What advantages do you see in going off-grid in an urban environment?
Unless your utility gives you a really horrible deal on your produced
electricity, it is better for you, and everyone else for you to just go
grid-tie.

Reduction of energy use should always be your first objective.  If you
are unsure about what each change will do for you in energy terms, I
recommend you get a competent energy audit.  Then adjust their
recommendations by what you are actually going to be paying for your
energy.  This should give you a good idea about what will be most
beneficial for you.  Don't start with the idea that you aren't going to
do Passivhaus standard; start with the numbers and see where they lead.

Natural material air sealing is tough.  Sadly, you may have to relax
that a bit.  If not, let s know what you did!

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn

--
Topher Belknap