[Greenbuilding] user participation in the solution

elitalking elitalking at rockbridge.net
Tue Apr 26 10:12:15 CDT 2011

The lack of user participation in the solution is a real weakness.  Yes, the "do the solution for me" approach is more appealing for those that do not care.  However, it suffers from less potential.  Caring is the critical ingredient.  A local principle at a middle school i adopting a garden and compost pile as part of schools instruction on sustainability. Building off of cafeteria scraps, he is encouraging his student's families to bring food scraps to school to contribute to compost pile.  He is issuing willing students/families suitable buckets to do that.  I felt new hope when he described preschoolers all in line source separating.  Many potent solutions are possible with active participation that are not available without.  It is just a matter of habit.  We brush and floss our teeth as a matter of habit.  Why not other sustainable practices?

By the way, my spouse has accepted the on off switch for hot water.  However, she has not accepted the sole use of the cloths line instead of dryer.  However, when installing a new thermal barrier around house, I became more aware of the continuous air leakage from dryer vent.  As a result, I installed dryer on back porch.  We are going through our five stages of mourning to accept the greater participation behavior of putting all our cloths on line.

Eli