[Greenbuilding] epdm vs. tar

Gennaro Brooks-Church - Eco Brooklyn info at ecobrooklyn.com
Sun Aug 28 22:13:45 CDT 2011

Let me be more clear. I install EPDM roofs and green roofs on top of
that because I think it is better than a simple roll on tar roof. So I
get a lot of clients coming to me wanting me to explain why they
should do EPDM (and maybe a green roof) instead of roll on. I'm
looking for substance from you all to add to my explanation. I'm not
sure I have my facts right or maybe I'm leaving something out.

Here is what I say more or less.
Tar roof - lasts 10 years, $10 to install (for argument sake)
EPDM - 20 years, $20 to install
Green roof - extends EPDM by 10 years, $20 to install

Tar roof needs to be cleared off every three layers - $10 to clear off.

So....over 30 years.
Tar roof - $40, more petro chemicals consumed, more waster created.
EPDM + green roof - $40, not including cooling savings (any guess on
this?), quality of life, no heat island effect, reduced water run
off...

Your thoughts? How do my numbers look?

Gennaro Brooks-Church

Cell: 1 347 244 3016 USA