[Greenbuilding] Living with a rainwater cistern (was Re:hot water)

Nick Pyner npyner at tig.com.au
Thu Feb 10 18:56:20 CST 2011

> On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 10:52:26 -0500, <bill.allen at verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > I'm in the middle of the woods and was thinking about a rainwater
> > harvesting system instead of drilling a well.  Can anyone comment pro or
> > con on RWH systems, especially for drinking water?

I can't comment on wells, I have never known anybody who does it but, if you
read anything Carmine Vasile writes, you can be pretty sure you are better
off with water from the roof.

Your local government authority and your rural hardware supplier shoud be
your first ports of call.

But essentially:

use a metal roof

use screens over the gutters

use a first flsh diverter, or at least check on the local practicality of
these.

use 1.2mm mosquito screens at the tank

use a food grade poly tank. They last as long as metal, are more manageable
than concrete, and are usually cheaper than both.

always use a round tank if you can.

Having said all that about tanks, I am currently doing a partially buried
36,000 litre concrete tank which is square. It is essentially a swimming
pool with a lid. The lid serves as a patio. The patio determines the size,
shape, and position of the tank.

Nick Pyner

Dee Why   NSW