[Greenbuilding] semantics

Corwyn corwyn at midcoast.com
Thu Jul 28 12:36:06 CDT 2011

On 7/28/2011 10:02 AM, Alan Abrams wrote:
> language continually evolves...
>
> http://www.mapleblock.com/detail/maple-butcher-block-countertops-25/

It does.

However given that they say this "Wood Welded Maple Butcher Block is the
most traditional of all Butcher Block products."  I don't think they are
evolving the meaning, I just think they are getting it wrong.

And that's the crux of the matter of evolving language issue isn't it?
If we don't allow any changes, we can't communicate given the changes in
the world; If we allow any changes, we can't communicate since there is
no commonality.  So, the metric I use is, is the change beneficial to
communication.  In this instance, perhaps a case can be made.  As always
letting advertisers make these cases is fraught with peril.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn

--
Topher Belknap