[Greenbuilding] Slab on Grade Insulation

Lynelle Hamilton lynelle at lahamilton.com
Fri Jun 10 19:58:18 CDT 2011

I have a slab on grade with a partially back filled north wall (up 5
feet).  Under slab is R34, walls R 42 walls and R60-70 ceiling.  My slab
is on traditional footings and foundation wall, 5' below grade (below
floor level on the north wall.  We sprayed the foundation walls with 2"
of closed cell (R14), down 15".  My walls are Durisol block.  My floor
is 4" of rigid foam with 2" of closed cell on top.  Sealed it nicely.

It was 30-33 Celsius here most of the week, but the house never got
above 20C inside, even with doors opening and closing (I'm still
trimming out the house).

If I had to do it over, I"d put a bit more insulation in the ceiling
(had with a 4/12 pitch roof), but I have no real bleed from the floor,
as far as I can tell (Eastern Ontario climate).

Lynelle