[Greenbuilding] Bamboo Floor, Radiant Heat and Thermal Mass

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Tue Mar 1 00:32:47 CST 2011

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 21:33:29 -0500, kenn brown <kenn2536 at centurylink.net>
wrote:

> In the winter our floor is cold, south glass wall in three rooms. Summer
> warm or hot. Climate Austin TX which is tropical to some of you.

In winter, our insulated floor slab (and living space) is warm. In summer
it's cool.

No auxiliary heating in winter until late at night, if at all. No
mechanical cooling in summer except for maybe 3 or 4 evenings during the
Dog Days of summer.

Slab is exposed to direct gain in winter via equator-facing glass (no more
than ~15% of floor area) and completely shaded from summer sun by
appropriately-scaled overhangs. Super-insulated/air-tight construction.

Climate: ~8750 HDD/yr, which is frigid to some of you (but balmy to guys
like Gordon in Edmonton Alberta)

Moral of the story ?  God and the Devil are in the details.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom