[Greenbuilding] Humidity between multiple windows

Bob Klahn Home-NRG at dnaco.net
Mon May 9 21:22:03 CDT 2011

We always just guesstimated the apparent gaps and watched for moisture,
on the assumption that a bit too much was good insurance against
moisture damage.

Here's how I'd approach testing  to compare the leakage:

If you have access to a blower door, you could build a frame that would
just enclose the window, seal a cap on it with a hose barb for the
pressure gauge hose.  Pressurize the house, with relation to the outside
air pressure, to a benchmark (which could be 50 pascals, 25 pascals or
whatever you choose.  Measure the pressure difference between the house
pressure and the pressure within your enclosure.

Move the enclosure fixture to the outside and seal it again to the
window.  Pressurize the house to the same benchmark difference with the
exterior and measure the differential between the air inside the fixture
and the outside air.  If you have a long enough hose, also compare it to
the living space pressure.

You might also compare the pressure differential between the enclosed
window (both inside and out) and the living space pressure.

I haven't had an occasion to run such a test but that's how I would
approach testing for a difference in the leakage of each layer of
window.  (Some time back, I bought a rig (used) for pressure testing
windows for leakage.  I haven't had occasion to try it out, but it is
set up to work this way.  I gather it was provided by a manufacturer as
a sales tool; to demonstrate the superior seal of their product.  To
give an idea of its vintage, it is set up with a slant tube manometer to
measure the pressures.)

Then again, your trial and error technique sounds equally practical -
and a lot easier.  You might start with two, or more holes; then plug
them slowly until you notice condensation and remove one plug.  That
might reduce the risk of moisture damage from unnoticed condensation.

Bob Klahn