[Greenbuilding] old wood windows (was Exterior insulation retrofit)

John Beeson - Sunny Side Up emailme0617 at yahoo.com
Thu May 12 15:38:03 CDT 2011

Yes, Great idea, Anne!

I have actually been using a rope that looks like the old ropes used, but it has
a wire core so even if the ropes degraded, the wire would still hold for some
time.

But I like that idea of the pipe!  I did Reuben's idea and the weights ran
closer together, clanging each other more frequently.

Now, I may even be inspired to finish the last three windows I have to do... of
course, I may now end up going back to the old ones to fulfill the pipe idea
there!

-John

> I cut rigid foam strips that enclosed the weights, leaving a column in which
>they could travel. I sealed the edges with caulk and covered it up with
>sheetrock. I doubt this is the best way, but it was not difficult.

I've believe I've heard of someone putting in a pipe for the weight(s) to run
in, then foaming around that.  Probably a good idea to switch to sash chain
first as I would imagine it wouldn't be easy to access the weight pocket after
that.