[Greenbuilding] low flow shower heads

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Tue May 17 20:43:11 CDT 2011

Not really that simple.

For most of us on municipal water systems there's a lot of
infrastructure, energy, pipes, trucks, pumps, chlorine, filters on
this incoming end, and a similar but even more complicated and
expensive infrastructure on the sewer end. All that costs money and
materials to install and maintain and operate.

Back in the seventies Amory Lovins figured out that if you back a kWh
through the appliance, wires, transmission lines to the power plant
and back to the mine, not using that kWh actually translates into a
far greater upstream investment that isn't required. Whether it is a
factor of 4 or 10 isn't really the point. The same holds true for
water except the units and losses are different.

The water molecules are still there, but they're always there even
after they are polluted or not recharged in the aquifer from which
they were pumped. Where the water is, whether it is drinkable, all of
this is important.