[Greenbuilding] windows better than walls (was Vacuum, insulation panels...)

stephen at thermotechfiberglass.com stephen at thermotechfiberglass.com
Mon Nov 7 10:32:09 CST 2011

Vacuum Glazing

Aside from the pillars i have 2 other concerns about vacuum glazing
that will limit its application in heating climate housing.

1. The edges are conductive, even w/ the best insulating material as a
spacer, there won't be enough of it to remotely qualify as warm edge.
The solution mention by most is to bury the edge deep into a frame --
reducing glass area and solar gains.....

2. To get the best insulating value potential fabricators are using the
lowest emissivity low-e - which severly limits solar gains

These 2 items may not be that much of a drawback in the commmercial
world where internal gains means that the heating season is much shorter
than it is for houses in the same climate.

In the end, like John, i'm not holding my breath.....

Stephen