[Greenbuilding] Dryer vent backdraft solutions

Bob Klahn Home-NRG at dnaco.net
Sat Sep 24 10:55:01 CDT 2011

Ben,
I recall an early manufacturer's suggestion for adapting a Heartland for
this, but have never seen it tried.
It requires a roof cricket to align it properly and a stainless steel
spring connecting the moveable cap with the weather cap to neutralize
the weight of the sealing cap, since bath exhausts don't produce a
strong enough flow to lift the cap (typically 45-90 [30-50 after duct
resistance loss] cfm compared to 100 to 110 [60-80] cfm for a dryer.

It would take some modification and site tuning to get it working
properly but may be worth a try.  If it works, I'd like to know so I can
add it to my bag of tricks.

Bob Klahn