[Greenbuilding] Insulating shallow crawl spaces

Sacie Lambertson sacie.lambertson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 09:41:49 CDT 2012

Interesting summary of UK building practices and codes.  thanks John.

One of the difficulties in this country, is the spread of information about
best practices, combined with varying codes everywhere.  Add to these
variances the hugely different climates around the country; the result is
sometimes people pick and chose their poison.  And get it wrong in the
doing.

I had this problem recently when I sought to insulate the attic of a house
in Seattle Washington where the climate is relatively mild but also wet.
Looking at the specs for properly insulating an attic, the advice is to
provide adequate ventilation to the space.  And I think perhaps the current
code might require new structures in the city to vent as well.  But there
is enlightened opinion that suggests venting in that particular climate
means bringing in humid/moist air to a drier space, so is *not* a good
idea, better to insulate well and make the space tight, without air leaks.

Re the wildly varying code, here in NE Kansas which has also a wildly
varying climate, with both extremes of heat and cold, (except this winter
past), the code of nearby Lawrence Kansas, which is relatively strict for
the state, requires only 2x4 construction.  Go figure.

Cheers,  Sacie