[Greenbuilding] tips for removing mold on wide bead of functional caulk around a tub

Stephen Collette stephen at yourhealthyhouse.ca
Mon Aug 20 14:10:34 CDT 2012

Hi Reuben and all,

Typically the answer is no. You can try cleaning with a toothbrush and strong cleaner. Bleach is kind of toxic, so I don't recommend it. Try vinegar or your favourite cleaner and some scrub time.

I recommend replacing it as I see it lots.

I also recommend that when you do replace the caulking that you (use zero VOC obviously) actually weigh the tub down by filling it up with water, and ideally, (beverages may or may not be needed) get into the tub filled with water and then caulk. Any flex that occurs between tub and wall (which will depend on construction, wall type, etc) will be maximized through this process, therefore guaranteeing that the joint should only ever get tighter and therefore need less replacing. Obviously you were doing something right last time to have it last 6 years.

Finally get a squeegy and wipe walls down as the soap scum, skin cells, and such after the shower is turned off scooch (technical word) down the wall (less kinetic energy  than when running shower) and all that water and scum sits in the caulking, which has micropores and that's how the mould appears. So wipe down after done and reduce cack (less technical word) getting into the caulking and you should be good.

I hope that helps.

Stephen

Stephen Collette BBEC, LEED AP, BSSO
Your Healthy House - Indoor Environmental Testing & Building Consulting
http://www.yourhealthyhouse.ca
stephen at yourhealthyhouse.ca
705.652.5159