[Greenbuilding] old question revisited-tankless heater

Sacie Lambertson sacie.lambertson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 12:20:43 CST 2012

Good questions RT,

The shed is attached to the cabin, well insulated all around, because I
felt it safer to place a propane tankless outside the envelope of the
living structure.  So it was entirely deliberate.  The hot water line feeds
the shower on situated on the fourth/inside wall of the shed structure.
With direct vent electronic ignition tanklesses now available, I probably
wouldn't set it up this way now.  Built it 13 years ago.

So much of the thoughtful advice on this list is offered as if one were
building from scratch.  When one is not, the idea of adding on something,
however a good idea it might be, does not usually fit into the available
space or other site considerations.

Basically I have a well insulated shed attached to the building, with a
shower on one side.  The bathroom basin is just a bit further on, with the
kitchen sink located on the back side of that basin's plumbing.  What I
would appreciate hearing here, are opinions regarding the efficiency of
small tankless for a daily shower where the incoming water is very cold
(and not practical to pre-heat unless the plumbing were set up to come
ultimately from a passive solar system--but this means glycol, a
circulating pump and a holding tank) versus a tradition small hot water
heater.

I put in the tankless originally because the cabin would have intermittent
use once we built a larger house.  Now I'm toying with the idea of
replacing that large volume tankless with a small one.  The cabin now will
have one person living there for several years.

Kathy has offered real life advice that is much appreciated.  More thoughts
like hers are useful.

Tankless btw, although they take up less space than a water heater, are not
entirely compact unless they are like the Asian and European electric point
of use types that usually fit under a sink (and require big time wiring to
use).

Cheers,  Sacie