[Greenbuilding] Hydro-Québec TOU Rates (was Low powered (wattage) water heaters available through Hydro Quebec)

npyner at ihug.com.au npyner at ihug.com.au
Sun Jan 8 19:19:29 CST 2012

	Hi Paul

Very interesting. I guess the short line is that there is less
inlinination to push TOU tariff because of the prevalence of electric
space heating thus making it easier to dissolve the issue in the murk.

I submit that doesn't alter the fact that electric water heating is
still an issue and can be addressed. Indeed it is a bigger issue in
Quebec than here, and happens all year round, while I guess that, even
in Quebec,  the strip heating is seasonal.  Locally, ETS is hardly
ever used and thus the off-peak tariff is/was for water heaters, and
water heaters only. There is a minimum size for the tank. In other
parfts of the country, in-slab ETS is used and enjoys off peak tariff.

I imagine that when Hydro gets round to installing smart metering,
there will be the tariffs to go with it. I can't see the point of
smart metering without variable tariff. And the residential
distribution boards throughout the province will suddenly burst into
bloom with new timer inserts.