[Greenbuilding] windows - flush vs recessed

John Daglish johndaglish at free.fr
Sun Jan 29 11:19:09 CST 2012

Bonjour John,

Sorry not to get back sooner, have been busy.

They calculate the installed value of the thermal bridge heat loss
coefficient W/m.K.

If you look at page 71 of the PPHPP assive House Planning Package 2007 booklet it
shows some best practices for exterieur insulation, concrete form
block, timber I beam, timber frame.

http://www.can.uk.net/conference_2011/leicester/downloads/peter_chisnall.pdf
p27 cavity wall insulation 0.11 0.01 or 0.12 W/m.K  ext mid int
p28-29 external wall insulation   0.08 or 1.84 W/m.K "mid" int

http://gse.cat.org.uk/downloads/passive_house.pdf
p9-10

There is a more complete explanation on the web site http://passipedia.passiv.de/passipedia_en/start
but it is behind a "pay" wall ie. you have to become a member.

but not in German it seems :

http://passipedia.passiv.de/passipedia_de/planung/waermeschutz/fenster/fenstereinbau
external wall insulation ETICS
0.18 or 0.017 or 1.22 W/m.K ext mid int
0.86 or 0.84 or 1.22 W/m2.K  window installed U value

PS angle bracket fixings to place the window in an ETICS wall should
have thermal insulating  shims!!  Even the cavity wall brick fixings
fabricants are doing this now.

Cordialement

--
John DAGLISH