[Greenbuilding] windows - flush vs recessed

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Mon Jan 30 10:27:30 CST 2012

I think it makes sense that having gone through the process of modelling a
window (therm) you follow through with observing the placement. It is true
that the gains are marginal but if such gains are continually discounted in
a building process - they accumulate. I've modelled other instertices like
sill plate fnd wall with rigid insulation and found minor improvements with
offsetting plates onto insulation, etc. Are these important? Depends how
much rests in the details.

It would not be high on my priority list if the design has not afforded high
performance windows and other basic upgrades.

I have always felt that anecdotally recessing a window is important for
shielding or breaking wind - It would be nice to see some studies on that.