[Greenbuilding] Crawlspace

Gary BIs gary at builditsolar.com
Sun Jun 3 20:37:55 CDT 2012

Hi Nick,

> Gary BIs <gary at builditsolar.com> wrote:
>
>> I converted my crawl space to a conditioned space as discussed in this:
>> http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Conservation/Insulation/CrawlSpace29238.pdf
>
> Do they suggest a vapor barrier under the floor? They say "Air sealing between
> the house and crawlspace is less critical" with crawlspace wall insulation.
>
>> I put two layers of poly on the dirt and sealed it around the edges and at
>> seams. I blocked all the vents and I foam can sealed all around the rim
>> joist. Then insulated the crawl space walls with polyiso foam board with
>> tape  on the seams... its been about 6 years, and its worked fine for me. The
>> crawl space feels dry.  I do live in a dry climate (SW MT)...
>
> Amen?
>
> Nick

To me, the conditioned crawl space seems a bit like turning the crawl space from
a semi outdoor environment into something more like an unheated basement.  So,
if basements work in the climate in question maybe a conditioned crawl space
would also work?
In a way, the conditioned crawl space seems better than most basements in that
the walls are insulated, so the crawl space temperature would be warmer and RH
lower?

The conditioned crawl space idea has been out there for some time -- I'd guess
that there should be a lot of data out there on how it has worked out for people
and what kind of climates it works in.

Gary