[Greenbuilding] From Heretics to Carbon calculators

sanjay jain sanjayjainuk at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jun 7 09:00:43 CDT 2012

Since I don't remember the ones I've seen, did a google search for carbon calculator - first result: http://www.nature.org/greenliving/carboncalculator/index.htm

This one too, does not estimate for public transport. But does look at diet.

For diet the US average of 4.1/person can be lowered by 3.2 (78% drop wow!) by consuming no meat, and further 0.3 if you use organic.

In comparison, the Washington DC average for a 2-bed single-family detached home, of 27 can be lowered by 9.3 if you did EVERYTHING they recommend, which is a 34% drop.

Let's say the home occupies 3 people, that would mean not-eating-meat saving would be 9.6 Tons/year, a slightly higher saving than if you did everything for your home.

Alan's hit the nail on the head about meat in the kitchen.

~sanjay