[Greenbuilding] Biochar Bricks for Green Buildings

Erin Rasmussen erin at trmiles.com
Fri Mar 2 12:00:11 CST 2012

If  you're curious about industrial biochar makers, I've been keeping an incomplete list of biochar making technologies here:
http://biochar.bioenergylists.org/company

The  International Biochar Initiative http://www.biochar-international.org/ also has a nice list of projects.

There is a lot of detail here, and to oversimplify a couple of different methods. Either you use some of the energy released in making the char to power the rest of the conversion of the wood or the 'waste' to  char, or you use the energy to make electricity (or cook food) and have the char as a by product. Sometimes you use the process of making char as a way of turning a 'waste' product into a source of energy and soil amendment. (The poultry litter projects often work in that third way).

I'll stop there before I ramble too much. :-) It's a neat set of technologies with a lot of potential. Like anything you've got to make the product in the right way, keep it local to the point of use, and then use it appropriately.

Erin