[Greenbuilding] Outsulating chimneys -- was Re: Fireplace options

Corwyn corwyn at midcoast.com
Fri Oct 5 17:56:28 CDT 2012

On 10/5/2012 6:05 PM, Bob Waldrop wrote:

> Does "outsulate" mean you think we should put some kind of insulating
> material over the brick? I'm guessing not the chimney that's within the
> conditioned space, but the chimney that is in the attic and in the air
> above the roof?  What kind of insulation materials would you recommend
> for this?  I had not thought of the chimney as a thermal bridge.

No need.  'Outsulating' should only be done if the chimney breaches the
insulation, such as a wall.  This is common with chimneys on an outside
wall, the brick is exposed on the outside, and is basically the only
thing between the room and the outside.  Insulating it on the outside
moves the whole chimney into the heated space (as it should be).

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn

--
Topher Belknap